I always use this basic sponge cake recipe when I make layered cakes. It is soft and spongy and a perfect base for layered cakes. Sometimes I add a bit of lemon zest or why not add some cocoa powder? Make sure the water is hot when you add it into the eggs, I believe that it makes the cake more fluffy.
BASIC SPONGE CAKE (FOR MAKING A LAYERED CAKE)
1 1/3 cup (300 g) sugar
1/3 cup (67 g) hot water
1 1/2 cup (200 g) all-purpose flour
1/3 cup (50 g) potato starch
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the tin:
1 tbsp of unsalted butter
- Preheat oven to 175°C and butter a tin (11inch) thoroughly
- Whisk egg, sugar and hot water in a bowl until light and fluffy, approx. 2-3 minutes
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, potato starch and baking powder) in a separate bowl
- Sift half of the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and fold in gently with a large rubber spatula. Sift the remaining half of the dry ingredients and fold in gently.
- Pour the mixture into the tin.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 mins in the lower third of the oven. The cake is ready once a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.