MARBLED SPONGE CAKE WITH RHUBARB, LEMON FROSTING AND POMEGRANATE
1 sponge cake
100g unsalted butter
2 medium eggs
180g granulated sugar
180g all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
100g rhubarb, finely chopped
pink food colouring
For the lemon frosting:
zest and juice of one lemon
200-250ml icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180˚C and butter a 8 inch tin thoroughly.
- Melt the butter in a small pan, add the milk to cool it down.
- Put the eggs and granulated sugar into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar) in a separate bowl.
- Sift half of the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and fold in gently with a large rubber spatula. Add the milk and butter. Sift the remaining half of the dry ingredients and fold in gently.
- Divide the mixture between two bowls, add rhubarbs and food colouring in one of the bowls.
- Take 2 spoons and use them to dollop the white and pink mixture into the tin alternately.
- Bake the cake for 45-50 mins in the lower third of the oven. The cake is ready once a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Put the zest and juice of one lemon into a bowl. Add icing sugar and whisk together until smooth. Pour the lemon frosting over the cake and decorate with pomegranate seeds.