I tried to make a sponge cake with icing sugar instead of granulated sugar and it turned out really tasty! I was a bit hesitant prior to putting the cake into the oven as the mixture wasn’t neither light nor fluffy. However the cake started to rise after a few minutes in the oven and came out really nice. And it tasted lovely too! This is a basic recipe, you may flavour it as you like. My suggestions are lemon zest, cocoa powder or chocolate chips.
VANILLA SPONGE CAKE
less than 1/2 cup (100 g) hot water
less than 1 cup (120 g) icing sugar
1 1/4 cup (180 g) all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla sugar
1 stick of butter (100 g) butter
- Preheat oven to 180˚C and butter a 8 inch tin thoroughly
- Put the eggs, water and icing sugar into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy, approx 2-3 minutes
- Mix the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder and vanilla sugar) in a separate bowl
- Soften the butter in the microwave for 30 seconds
- Sift half of the dry ingredients over the egg mixture and fold in gently with a large rubber spatula. Add butter. Sift the remaining half of the dry ingredients and fold in gently.
- Pour the mixture into the tin
- Bake the cake for 45-50 mins in the lower third of the oven. The cake is ready once a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.