Traditional swedish cheesecake “ostkaka” is nothing like any other cheesecakes that I have tried. It is baked and filled with lovely almond pieces. I believe that “ostkaka” should be served lukewarm with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. Others might serve it with jam or even cold as an afternoon snack. Either way, you should give it a try. Just make sure that the cottage cheese is not to salty, if so, add 1 or 2 extra tablespoons of sugar.
SWEDISH CHEESECAKE SERVED WITH FRESH STRAWBERRIES AND WHIPPED CREAM
2 medium eggs
2 tbsp granulated sugar
1/4 cup (30g) all-purpose flour
1 cup (250g) cottage cheese
2/3 cup (150g) whipping cream
1/4 cup (30g) almonds, chopped
1-2 drops of bitter almond extract (or 1/2 tbsp amaretto)
- Preheat oven to 180˚C and grease butter 6 portion-sized over safe dishes.
- Put the eggs and granulated sugar into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy.
- Gently stir in the flour, cottage cheese, whipping cream, almonds and bitter almond extract (or amaretto).
- Scoop the batter into the oven safe dishes and bake in the centre of the oven for approximately 30 mins. The cheesecake is ready once it is slightly brown on the top and looks set in the middle.
- Serve the cheesecake lukewarm with fresh strawberries and whipped cream.